Whilst past weekends have seen us exploring the New Territories while our eldest learns to “Be a Storyteller” at HK Chinese University in Sha Tin, this week his teacher cancelled and the only NT excursion was to bring the five year old and me home from hospital. The boys’ sailing course at Middle Island was cancelled due to rain warnings and we found ourselves facing the prospect of a loooong weekend inside.
So what jollier prospect than to ride one of Hong Kong Island’s double-decker trams from end to end and see the sights?
This was the view with the window up.
The children grew quickly bored (can’t think why) and we only made it to one end before giving up and heading home. I spotted Hong Kong’s Central library and an interesting looking market at Shau Kei Wan (neither of which I shall have time to appreciate) and marvelled at the steep sides of the escarpment that rise above King’s Road east of North Point.
The five year old is in considerable discomfort. He is eating virtually nothing now that the novelty of ice cream, milk shake and fresh smoothie has worn off and he grows visibly thinner by the day. He has stopped snoring and is sleeping for England but his breath smells vile and he is unusually quiet and still. To me it is clear he is weak from lack of food but nothing will induce him to eat and I find myself at a loss as to what to do. So much for mother knows best.
As rain pours down the windows and drips though the air con vents into the kitchen we play Carcassonne and Pictionary for hours between whizzing delicious fruits up in the liquidiser to tempt the ailing patient. He takes a sip, announces he’s full and his siblings gulp the rest.
As Sunday draws to a close, we have almost survived our confinement when WW III breaks out in the playroom. Son 2 has offended Son 1 in some way involving misuse of a piece of Pictionary paper. He gets clobbered by Son 1 and screams like a stuck pig. How many times in the last two days have we appealed to our eldest not to resort to violence? No-one is prepared for the pent up storm of fury released in a family deprived of fresh air and exercise for two days. The ten year old’s fuse has been lit and after he lands me a passing thump I too go off like a firework.
The Domestic God spends hours trying to reason with Son 1 whilst I state that it is being too soft on him that has created the monster that holds us all hostage with these outbursts. He's ten for goodness sake, what will it be like when he's fifteen? For the second time today I don’t know what to do so I put him outside the back door until he can be more civilised. It is no longer raining: you’ll be glad to know there are limits to my cruelty. However, it is the fear of mosquito bites that drives him inside repentant, apologetic and keen to make amends. We have a big hug and a chat and the whole family ends the evening listening to him playing his trumpet like an angel.
As rain pours down the windows and drips though the air con vents into the kitchen we play Carcassonne and Pictionary for hours between whizzing delicious fruits up in the liquidiser to tempt the ailing patient. He takes a sip, announces he’s full and his siblings gulp the rest.
As Sunday draws to a close, we have almost survived our confinement when WW III breaks out in the playroom. Son 2 has offended Son 1 in some way involving misuse of a piece of Pictionary paper. He gets clobbered by Son 1 and screams like a stuck pig. How many times in the last two days have we appealed to our eldest not to resort to violence? No-one is prepared for the pent up storm of fury released in a family deprived of fresh air and exercise for two days. The ten year old’s fuse has been lit and after he lands me a passing thump I too go off like a firework.
The Domestic God spends hours trying to reason with Son 1 whilst I state that it is being too soft on him that has created the monster that holds us all hostage with these outbursts. He's ten for goodness sake, what will it be like when he's fifteen? For the second time today I don’t know what to do so I put him outside the back door until he can be more civilised. It is no longer raining: you’ll be glad to know there are limits to my cruelty. However, it is the fear of mosquito bites that drives him inside repentant, apologetic and keen to make amends. We have a big hug and a chat and the whole family ends the evening listening to him playing his trumpet like an angel.
9 comments:
Ice-cream, milkshake and soft-drinks kill appetite for normal food. Beware.
What a silly comment from anonymous. When you're 5 and have just had your tonsils out you get to eat whatever you can manage. Poor wee stick; he sounds very woebegone, and it must be worrying for you that he's not eating anything but I'm sure he will be fine - as a child in the 70's, the evil hospital made me eat dry toast & weetabix post op which I still think was the meanest thing.
Terrific post- I could just feel the frustration of being stuck indoors. Take care- hope 5 feels better soon.
bananas may help on the food side ... on the rain side - get some crocs or wellies, and let them go and tramp in the rain. It's just wet, not cold. Yesterday my kids went and jumped on the trampoline in the amber rainstorm in their undies (had to consider the neighbours and passersby in denying their request for nakedness), we've played football in the pouring rain and gone snail hunting and had a BBQ on the balcony - we had to eat indoors though as it was pissing it too much and our plates were getting wet. They love it!
Here's hoping his appetite picks up soon. And glad to hear that I am not the only mum at the end of my (admittedly short) tether who resorts to chucking the errant child out of the back door (actually the one time I did it - to the 3 yr old who was behaving like the devil incarnate - he was only dressed in his batman underpants and it was pissing it down outside. So...he got a little wet but I did end up with a sincere apology and he hasn't been so vile since. No trumpet playing happy ending tho. I think we all just shared the lego.)
Oh the joys of parenting! This like many other reason is why I only have one or could handle only one child. Though I never thought through the lack of playmates.Hope the rains stop and otside they go soon.
Cheese n Onion crisps! Always a winner in my book.
I hope all gets normal soon ! Good luck! I'll hope and pray the kid's appitite improves soon!
sicknesscomfort food round here is soup, then soup with white rice. for dig it is mashed potatoes and cornish pasty, so each to his own.
life held to ransom by sudden upflare of outrage is pretty much like this with our shark. which is how she gets her name. she cruises round happily for days playing with the other fish, then suddenly goes berserk and takes great chunks from us all. talking therapy makes me feel better.
other than that we can only blame HORMONES. they're useful for everything, including why yesterday i set the green beans on fire.
and if you come up with any other behaviour management suggestions, please share, as we will also give them a go!
Your poor little chap - Anon obv didn't read your full post - it takes a long time for them to want to eat again and they do lose weight but once he turns the corner I'm sure he'll start eating for Hong Kong!! Lx
ps "Cheese and onion crisps?" not sure that would be too appealing and what about his dog breath after those? Lx
Post a Comment